Monday, April 9, 2012

This terrace is for the birds


Morning doves in the afternoon
Springtime always brings out the birds. Though morning doves (left) visit us all year long, last week brought the enthusiastic singing of a pair of mocking birds. Anyone who reads my blog regularly will recall my posts about how those chirpy critters stole my blueberries last summer. I think they stopped by just to see how the bushes are doing -- which is actually quite well, already full of buds. We have our bird netting ready for this season, though the birds are pretty good at poking their beaks in and plucking out the berries. They are nothing if not persistent. Another spring visitor, a handsome blue jay, stopped by at about 7 a.m. in the morning. I was startled by his boisterous caw. He took a break on our railing and just had to crow about it, I guess. The Jays usually head further north by May, and so, they don't compete with the mockingbirds for berries. One of nature's small mercies...

Blueberry bush blooming
 

No comments: